The General Election on June 8th gives us the chance to support parties and candidates in South Yorkshire who stand for asylum and migrant rights. We’ll be helping you decide who they are by holding a pre-election meeting with candidates on immigration and asylum on May 31st 7pm at Central United Reform Church Sheffield S1 2JB.
In advance of the meeting we’re asking candidates to support some key pledges on asylum and migrants’ rights. We’ll publicise their responses before and at the meeting
Asylum and Immigration Election Hustings
SYMAAG has organised an Asylum and Immigration Election Hustings on Wednesday 31st May at 7pm in Sheffield where you get the chance to question representatives from the parties standing in the general election in South Yorkshire.
The event is supported by major asylum/migration organisations and charities in our region: Sheffield City of Sanctuary, Committee to Defend Asylum Seekers; Early Asylum Support, DEWA, Why Refugee Women South Yorkshire Refugee Law and Justice, ASSIST
The meeting is at 7pm Central United Reform Church S1 2JB in the centre of Sheffield, opposite the Crucible Theatre The meeting starts at 7pm but doors open at 6.30pm for a cup of tea and a chance to look around the information stalls.
After a short introduction on the main issues facing refugees and people seeking asylum from SYMAAG, the politicians will make short speeches about their party policies, leaving plenty of time for your points and questions.
If you want to ask a question but can’t get to the meeting use the Twitter hashtag #asylumrights and we will try to put your point to the politicians
Here’s a downloadable flyer for the event SYMAAGElectionhustings leaflet 2017
By the time of the meeting, candidates in South Yorkshire will have been asked to support 6 key migrants’ rights election pledges summarised below.
- Guarantee the rights of all EU citizens who are at present resident in the UK
- Support safe routes for people seeking asylum in the UK. Take a fair share of refugees already in the EU and all children who have family or other links with the UK
- End the indefinite detention of asylum seekers and migrants. End the detention of children. Close down detention centres
- Support the right to work whilst seeking asylum in the UK. Levels of financial support whilst waiting for asylum decisions should be equivalent to standard UK benefit rates. Give those seeking asylum full access to free NHS healthcare and to English courses
- Take asylum housing contracts from G4S in 2019 and give back the organisation of asylum housing contracts to local councils and the provision to housing associations and not for profit agencies
For full text see SYMAAG General Election Pledges 2017